Budget Cuts Threaten Schlow Services
Our State Senate has passed a 2009-2010 budget that will cut Schlow's funding by more than 50%, which means a major reduction or even elimination of services to you. These cuts are deeper than ever before and come at a horrible time for those of you who rely on Schlow to provide vital services at no cost to you.
WE NEED YOUR HELP...
Right now we are asking you to write a personal letter to your legislators asking them to maintain level funding for libraries. Show them what Schlow and all public libraries mean to you. If you have children, help them write letters, too. The cost of a stamp will make a difference. We need to let the legislators know that their constituents care about the state of libraries in Pennsylvania.
You may wonder what services will be affected in this new budget:
- Power Library (online databases and study resources) will be eliminated.
- Daily Delivery among PA libraries for interlibrary loan and easy returns to your nearest library will be cut.
- Statewide library card program which allows you to borrow items from another library without paying non-resident fee will no longer exist.
- AskHere PA (24 hour chat with librarians for research purposes) will be cut by half.
Those are things we know for sure will be eliminated.
Schlow will also be forced to reduce:
- New material acquisitions
- Staff and hours
- Programs and events at the library
Please help us by writing to the Governor, Senators & Representatives asking to maintain level funding for libraries.
Not sure who your representative is? Use the form in the upper-right corner of this page to find out.