Family Life and Community Booklist
|"A Mama for Owen" Story Stretching Activities||23.5 KB|
|"Little Penguin's Tale" Story Stretching Activities.doc||23.5 KB|
- Ajmera, Maya and John D. Ivanko. Be My Neighbor. Charlesbridge, 2008. A simple introduction to the characteristics of a neighborhood, using photos from around the world.
- Bauer, Marian Dane. A Mama for Owen. Simon & Schuster, 2007. The young African hippopotamus who is adopted by a land tortoise clearly shows that caring is what defines "family."
- Jeffers, Oliver. Lost and Found. Philomel Books, 2006. Once there was a little boy who found a penguin at his door. After helping him return to the South Pole, the little boy realizes he wasn't lost - he was simply lonely and looking for a friend.
- Richardson, Justin and Peter Parnell. And Tango Makes Three. Simon & Schuster, 2005. The story of the penguin chick Tango who "came to be the only penguin in the Central Park Zoo with two daddies."
- Weeks, Sarah. Without You. Harper Collins, 2005. Illustrated song about a baby emperor penguin who waits with his father while his mother hunts for food.
- Wood, Audrey. Little Penguin's Tale. Voyager Books, 1993. This is an extravagant cautionary tale that stresses the dangers of wandering off by yourself. Move with Little Penguin as he slides down hills, dances with silly goony birds and almost gets eaten by a whale!