Penguins in Fiction Booklist
- Benson, Patrick. Little Penguin. Philomel Books, 1990. Pip, an Adelie penguin, feels small compared to the Emperor penguins. She goes for a walk and wonders about the other animals she meets, big and small. She realizes that size is unimportant when she meets a playmate just her age- a sperm whale.
- Chester, Jonathan. Splash! A Penguin Counting Book. Tricycle Press, 2000. Photos of penguins over the course of one day, in numerical order.
- Fromental, Jean -Luc. 365 Penguins. Abrams Books forYoung Readers, 2006. A family deals with penguins that arrive at their home--one a day, for a full year
- Geraghty, Paul. Solo. Crown Publishers, Inc. 1996. When her parents leave her to search for food, Solo the baby penguin tries to follow and loses her way.
- Gorbachev, Valeri. Turtle's Penguin Day. Knopf, 2008. Your child will want to walk, talk and dress like a penguin after reading about how Turtle spends day "being" a penguin.
- Kellogg, Steven. Penguin Pup for Pinkerton. Puffin Books, 2003. Kellogg's outrageous great dane mistakes a football for a penguin egg after his owner Emily comes home from school excited about penguins and their unusual parenting skills. Chaos follows as he tries to hatch his football "egg." Lots of laughter.
- Kimmel, Elizabeth Cody. My Penguin Osbert (2004) and My Penguin Osbert in Love (2009). Candlewick Press. Can you imagine having a penguin for pet? It may be more complicated than you think.
- Lester, Helen. Tacky the Penguin series. Houghton Mifflin, 1990. Tacky's un-penguin-like behavior makes him stand apart in the land of happy penguins but his antics prove that everyone has useful talents.
- Murphy, Mary. I Like it When... . Red Wagon Books, 2005. Board book story of a penguin parent and child is perfect for the youngest child.
- Pfister, Marcus. Penguin Pete. North-South Books, 1994. Pete, the littlest penguin, longs to swim with the rest of the flock.
- Pichon, Liz. Penguins. Orchard Books, 2008. It's an ordinary day at the zoo until a little girl drops her camera into the penguin pen. Now you can find out what these photo happy penguins really do when you aren't there watching them!
- Sierra, Judy. Antarctic Antics: A Book of Penguin Poems. Gulliver Books, 1998. A collection of poems that celebrates the habits and habitat of emperor penguins.
- Wilson, Karma. Where is Home, Little Pip?. Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2008.