Schlow Centre Region Library opened in January of 1957. The first library, originally called the State College Public Library, was located on West College Avenue in two rooms in a house owned by State College businessman Charles Schlow. Local eighth graders conducted a massive community used book drive to establish the first collection of library books. In 1958 Mr. Schlow expanded the library by adding a storefront, and the library was renamed the Bella S. Schlow Memorial Library in memory of Charles' wife.
The five public libraries in Centre County Library are all part of the Centre County Federation of Public Libraries, a public library system. Schlow Library serves the six municipalities in the State College area. The rest of the county is served by Centre County Library in Bellefonte and its branches in Centre Hall, Aaronsburg and Philipsburg and their bookmobile that travels throughout the county.
Mary Rohrer-Dann fell in love with words in the 4th grade and has been writing ever since. She's been published in many literary magazines and has a book of poetry in publication by Eiderdown Press. She also teaches at Penn State and will share with us her writing process from inspiration to first draft to revision upon revision upon revision.more info
Most library items circulate for three weeks and may be renewed twice, except when an item has been requested by another patron, in which case the item will be recalled after the initial loan period. Exceptions to the standard loan period include DVD's, which circulate for three days, and reference items, which circulate for 24 hours. The library also lends audio visual equipment, which have variable loan periods.