Our building is currently open for pick-up of materials, 45 minute computer sessions, and browsing of materials.
- Mon 9am to 5pm
- Tue 1pm to 7pm
- Wed 9am to 5pm
- Thu 1pm to 7pm
- Fri 9am to 5pm
- Sat 9am to 1pm
Join us all year long as we celebrate 60 years as your public library!
During the past 60 years, Schlow has grown from a collection of 3,000 books in two rooms on West College Avenue, to a state-of-the-art institution with more than 160,000 items in its collection and a landmark building in the center of Downtown State College.
From humble beginnings in the basement of the Fraser School, the dream of a true public library came in 1957 when Mr. Charles Schlow, a local civic-minded businessman, stepped up to renovate a space for the library in one of his properties. Charles Schlow donated this space rent and utility free and named it for his late wife Bella S. Schlow. That act of generosity prompted an outpouring of support from donations to volunteer hours.
Within a couple years, the people of State College passed a tax referendum and the Library gained the public funding support it needed to continue. Today, Schlow is an agency of the Centre Region Council of Governments, supported by revenues from the Borough of State College and the townships of Ferguson, Patton, Harris, College and Halfmoon. All residents of Centre County, including Penn State University students, are eligible for library cards.
The Library will host a special Community Open House on Saturday, June 3 to mark Charles Schlow’s June 14 birthday.
Additional events will be announced on the website throughout this landmark year. Stay tuned!