Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a library card?
Online Library Card Account Creation: All Centre County residents, permanent and temporary, are eligible (13 years of age or older or under 12, with guardian permission).
Go to: go.schlow.org/GetACard.
- Enter your information in all fields.
- Check the boxes to confirm that you are a resident of Centre County and 13 years of age or older or a legal guardian of the applicant, and grant permission for this account
- A temporary library card number will be issued to you so that you can immediately access online resources at schlowlibrary.org. The temporary number expires in 60 days.
- Your permanent library card will be mailed to you in 7-10 business days.
- Mail option: You can check out materials at the library once your account information has been confirmed by showing photo I.D. at the Main Service Desk.
Need help? Email us at email@example.com.
How do I renew my library account?
What parking is available when I visit Schlow? Do I need to validate my parking ticket?
Yes, parking is available in the Schlow Library lot during regular business hours for free, and validation is required. You’ll find validation stations in the lobby and the Children’s Department. Please note: Personal vehicles must be removed from the lot when you leave the library to avoid being towed.
Where do I return Library materials?
Book Returns Slots at Schlow:
- In the brick wall along the ramp coming from the parking lot
- In the wall to the far right end of the entrance vestibule
- In the Circulation Desk
Drive-up Return at Schlow:
- Drop Library materials off from your car at the large, stainless steel book return box behind the Library. It is accessible via Highland Alley from Pugh St. or via A Alley from Foster Avenue.
Remote Book Returns:
- Find information about our convenient off-site boxes.
Note: Return all Discovery Space Passes and items that do not fit in the return slots such as puzzles and book group kits to staff at the Circulation Desk.
Are fines still waived?
Yes. To avoid additional financial burdens on our community, fines continue to be waived at this time; however, to ensure the availability of our materials to all patrons, items not returned in a timely manner will be marked lost, and your account will be charged the associated replacement costs.
Why am I being billed for items when there are no late fees?
To ensure the availability of our materials to all patrons, items not returned in a timely manner will be marked lost, and your account will be charged the associated replacement costs.
How do I pay for lost books or printing fees?
- Pay online with major debit or credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club and JCB
- Click the green Log In button to the right of the Search Bar and enter your library card number and four-digit library PIN.
- Click on the green My Account button, and then in the drop-down click on Fines.
- Click the blue Pay with Card button.
- Enter your payment information.
- Click the Pay button.
Pay in Person
- Pay in person at the Main Service Desk with cash, check, Visa or MasterCard.
Pay at a Self Check-Out
- Pay at any Schlow Centre Region Library Self Check-Out machine with Visa or MasterCard.
Pay by Check
- Mail a check to:
Schlow Centre Region Library
ATTN: Patron Services Department
211 S. Allen St.
State College, PA 16801
Note: Please include the card holder's name and library card number.
Telephone credit card payments are not accepted at this time.
Is there a place where I can meet with someone?
Our event and meeting spaces inside the building are available at limited capacity. While we’re excited to welcome patrons back into Schlow, meeting spaces continue to be limited at this time. Contact the reference desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire about available space for virtual meetings or small group discussions.
Computers & Technology
1:1 Tech Help
Need help with a device or program? Staff are available by appointment for basic troubleshooting.
Students, inventors, creators, and residents! Try your hand at printing in three dimensions.
Printer jammed? Out of ink? Schlow offers both black and white, and color printing.
Workstations, Laptops available for 45 minutes. In a hurry? Hop on an express station.
Reservations & Requests
Title Suggestions & Interlibrary Loan
Can't find the title you're looking for? Schlow may consider it for purchase or borrow it from another library.
Library by Mail
Any resident of Centre, Clearfield, Juniata, or Mifflin Counties who is permanently or temporarily unable to leave their home is welcome to use this free and convenient service.
Schlow to School
Get Schlow materials delivered to the public schools. This convenient delivery service greatly expands the materials available to students in elementary, middle, and secondary schools in the Centre Region.
Need to take a test?
Schlow Library Adult Department staff offer in-person proctoring services.
More Than Books
Your library is more than books. Discover:
- Purple Lizard PA Hiking Maps
- Board Games
- Video Games
Reserve an event space for in-person use or virtual meetings at Schlow.
Tax Forms & Assistance
From January through May, Schlow offers Federal Income Tax forms and instructions. State and other forms are print on demand for $.10/page.
Grab-and-Go Lockers (Halfmoon Twp.)
Register for our pilot project! A new partnership with Way Fruit Farm, and Halfmoon Township offers a convenient way to get your materials on a weekly basis.
Centre County is full of wonderful artists. We are proud to exhibit their work on a monthly basis in our Allen Gallery or in the Teens Create Space. Check it out!
Let Schlow staff find new authors and titles for you based on your interests.
Join a Club
Schlow offers a variety of clubs where you can meet individuals who share your interests.