3D Printing @ Schlow
Schlow Centre Region Library presents 3D Printing! This service is offered to the community to enable students, inventors, creators, and residents from all backgrounds to try their hand at printing in three dimensions. Whether you need a replacement part for an RC car or are new to 3D design using various computer assisted software, the Library is eager to help your creation become a reality.
What is 3D printing?
3D printing is an additive manufacturing process that creates three-dimensional objects from a digital file. There are are a wide variety of printing processes out there; some use plastic deposited in layers, some use vats of resin cured with UV light, some even use metal powder to create the object.
Here at Schlow we use Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) using PLA plastic filament to build the model from the bottom up one layer at a time.
Equipment Available: LulzBot TAZ 6, printing with PLA filament
- A Schlow Library card is required to submit an object for printing
- Acceptable file format: .STL only
- Color Choice: Depends on PLA filament availability
- Designated Library staff will have hands-on access to the 3D printer. Printing priority will be given to Library programs or activities
- Same day printing is not available. Our lead time tends to be around 2 - 7 business days, dependent on size and quantity of printed objects.
- For safety reasons, we will not run the 3D printer when library staff is unable to supervise it. Due to this we cannot accept prints that will take longer than 8 hours to complete.
- 3D printed objects may contain small bumps or rough edges. These can be cleaned up using fine sandpaper.
- Objects are printed from the bottom up. If a 3D design contains overhangs or suspended parts, supports or rafts may be used. These additions are easily removed by the patron. The Library is not responsible for removing any supports or rafts.
- Users will be notified by email when their print job is completed and must pay for print jobs before object will be given.
- Objects which are not picked up within 10 business days will be recycled or become property of the Library.
- The Library charges a $2.00 service fee per object plus the cost of materials. A cost quote will be emailed to the user prior to printing.
- Refunds will not be given if an object has not printed correctly due to design errors. Users my not request a new print in place of the original due to dissatisfaction with color, scale, quality, design, or other conditions pre-selected by the user. Users will not be charged in cases of mechanical issues or other factors due to printer error.
Supervision of the use of the 3D printer by library staff does not constitute knowledge, or acknowledgement, of any potential final use of the 3D product, and the Library specifically disclaims any knowledge thereof.
The Library's 3D printers may only be used for lawful purposes. Users will certify that printed objects are not:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Deemed unsafe, dangerous, harmful, or poses an immediate threat to others.
- Considered obscene or inappropriate for Library environment.
- In violation of intellectual property rights, copyright, or trademarked.
**The library reserves the right to deny any 3D print request**
Recommended sites to find a design or create your own:
3D Printing Help and Services are available at
1224 N Atherton St.
State College, PA 16803
The UPS Store #5642
19 Colonnade Way, Suite 117
State College, PA 16803