User Behavior Policy
Approved November 12, 2015 by the Centre County Federation of Public Libraries Board
To insure the enjoyment of all who patronize facilities and services of the Centre County Federation of Public Libraries, including Centre County Library, its branches, its Museum, its Bookmobile, and Schlow Centre Region Library, users may not engage in any act that is illegal, or disrupts or prevents the normal or intended use of the Library by any other users or staff. Doing so may result in loss of Library privileges and/or legal actions.
The following are specifically prohibited:
- Leaving children unsupervised or uncontrolled
- Food or open drinks except in designated areas
- Bare feet or lack of upper-body covering
- Stealing, damaging, altering or attempting to alter, any property belonging to the Library or Library patrons
- Viewing, in plain sight, materials which are inappropriate for the surroundings, including potential passersby
- Excessive noise, including loud talking, loud audio equipment and use of profanity
- Use of controlled substances, tobacco products or alcoholic beverages
- Animals, except assistance animals or those that are part of a Library-sponsored activity
- Unattended bags or belongings; the Libraries are not responsible for stolen or lost property
- Obstructing passageways; blocking access to any part of the Libraries
- Threats, harassment, or intimidation of another person, including following a person, staring, threatening, taunting or inflicting physical or verbal abuse
- Poor personal hygiene that is offensive or constitutes a nuisance to others
- Soliciting or panhandling
- Washing clothes or bathing on Library property
- Bicycles, scooters, skates, skateboards or shopping carts inside the Library
- Utilizing Library facilities for non-approved Library purposes
These rules shall be applied in a neutral and nondiscriminatory manner to protect the property, users, and staff in all Centre County Federation of Public Libraries facilities. Offenders may be asked to leave the Libraries, have Library privileges suspended or revoked, or be subject to police or legal action and eviction. Once implemented, actions originating in any Library will be upheld throughout all of the Centre County Federation of Public Libraries facilities.
The Centre County Federation of Public Libraries is a limited public forum. Appeals may be submitted to the governing Library Board within 15 days of official notification of actions taken to suspend or revoke privileges.